Friday, June 4, 2010

6.4.10 Skagway, AK



Sleeping has been very comfortable at around 50 dg. at night. But, what a way to wake up…and what a spot! Birds chirping, snow on the mountains, and the Excursion Train rattling right outside our door…….


While in Skagway, we decided to take a walk down town, and see the Alaskan Quilt Shop. I have been real good and haven’t gone to any so far. But, I’m weakening, and today is my day.

We watched the cute Soapy Smith Show, and a National Parks narrative on this “boom town”, it enlightened us on the Klondike story of Skagway. People stampeded in here by the thousands in 1898 via boat to get to Dawson City, Yukon, during the gold rush. The problem was, not many of them got any gold.

While in town, we weren’t invited to dinner, but Jack did get a picture taken with Sarah.

One of the jaded ladies caught Jack in one of the brothels, and I got him just as he was being lured up the stairs. Whew! Just in time. Some of the original buildings are still here, which includes the Red Onion Saloon.

The pianist wanted me to bring my older sister around........

We won't be able to go to church on Sunday, so Jack wondered if I could go a couple of days early? Silly boy!!!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man! I am so jealous! As soon as Mandi agrees we are moving there! :)

Bernice said...

It's a long way from family. :(

Unknown said...

I also forgot to tell you. When I went there I rode in that train. Did you guys go up the mountain?

Bernice said...

Any mountains we went up were in the motorhome. And it was quite steep. Which mountain are you talking about, was it in Skagway? and when were you this way?

Bernice said...

Oh, was it with your other Grandmother?